If you have 1-2 hours a week to save an animal’s life, Hanover Humane Society needs you! We are constantly searching for people willing to give us a small portion of their valuable time to help our organization continue to do the work that we do. Many of our needs can be met from your home, requiring only a telephone for equipment. Not all people can foster or work directly with the animals at our adoption stands. Yet, you still want to feel like you are making a difference! This is your chance.
If you are over 18, please take a look at this list to see if there are any volunteer needs that you would like to fulfill:
- Safehouses: Frequently Hanover Humane has a need for individuals to foster cats/kittens and/or dogs/puppies. While in your care, Hanover Humane will provide food,litter, medical attention, etc. until a permanent home is located.
- Fundraising Committee: This is the committee which plans special events for Hanover Humane. Help is needed for recruiting sponsors, handling advertising, selling tickets, planning decorations and party favors, planning menus, etc. The Committee meets as needed.
- Dog Handlers at the adoption stand: Individuals must be able to handle large dogs on a leash. Requires training.
- Petsmart Adoption Center: Many of Hanover Humane’s adoptable cats are housed at two of the Petsmart locations (Mechanicsville and Virginia Center Commons). Help is needed each morning and evening to feed and clean residents in the Centers. Volunteers can expect exposure to cat hair and dander, feces. Training required.
- Transporters: This could include transportation of donations to our facility or transporting animals to our adoption stands at the two Petsmart locations. This requires use of your vehicle.
- SNIP Volunteer: This is Hanover Humane’s Low-Cost spay/neuter program, commonly referred to as “SNIP” (Spay / Neuter Is Progress). Volunteering with SNIP could involve assisting with transports, educating the public on the importance of spaying/neutering, assisting the veterinarian with surgical procedures, etc. SNIP transports occur the first and third Wednesday of each month, unless otherwise posted on our website or at our facility. If assisting with transports, you would be required to be on-site from 8:00 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. for client drop-offs.
- Dog walker at our facility: This involves taking the dogs at Hanover Humane’s facility for walks. Indiviuals must demonstrate an ability to handle large dogs. Volunteering is conducted in a high noise area with exposure to chemicals, dog hair and dander, and feces.
- Landscapers: Love to work in the garden? Hanover Humane’s property has many beautiful flower beds needing your TLC. We also need help developing our walking trail, identifying the plants and trees along it, and maintaining it once we get it’s all established.
- Administrative Work: Requires training on the various tasks needed at the time. Some tasks include, but are not limited to,
- Preparing and handling mailings
- Processing Donations
- Preparing and mailing “Thank You” letters to donors
- Wellness Clinic: Hanover Humane provides a Wellness Clinic for the public and their dogs and/or cats the first and third Wednesday of each month. Doors open to the public at 4:00pm and are closed at 5:45pm No appointments are necessary. Areas of volunteer opportunities with the Wellness Clinic include greeting clients, providing the necessary forms to clients, assisting the Veterinarian during exams, entering data for invoicing, etc.
- Handymen (or Women!): Owning a facility requires lots of TLC! If you are handy and have skills in carpentry, electrical, heating / air conditioning, etc., we’d love to be able to utilize your skills!
- Public Relations: If you have graphic design skills and can help us make posters, brochures, programs, we need your help! Many of our special events require advertising and we need creative people to help us get the word out. If you love to write, we also need assistance with writing and distributing media releases!